1. Page content
  2. Main navigation menu
  3. Section menu
Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti - Testata per la stampa

Contenuto della pagina

Palazzo Loredan

Detail of the fašade (GG Grapiglia)
Detail of the fašade (GG Grapiglia)

The Venetian Institute of Sciences, Arts and Letters has been in Palazzo Loredan since 1891. This building occupies a significant extension of Campo S. Stefano, with two fronts: the first short and lithic, the second long with a elegant polygon that characterizes the entrance to the Institute. 
The palace, purchased by Loredan in 1536, was restored with Renaissance shapes and characters by Antonio Scarpagnino. From the original Gothic factory, belonging to the Mocenigo, there are constructive testimonies along the wall towards the Rio and in the Grones, the Gothic "true from well" of the 15th century. and the stone arches of Istria resting on late-Gothic capitals. 
The Scarpagnino project included a fresco decoration, now completely disappeared, by Giuseppe Porta, said the Salviati and the Florentine master called "from the shadows", depicting episodes of Roman history, allegorical figures, friezes and grotesques. The atrium, which now houses the " Panteon Veneto " collection, has two arches at the sides and three smaller arches in the center, two side stairs that continue on two ramparts confluent on the monumental staircase. The mezzanine ceiling decoration was made, at the end of the sixteenth century, by Antonio Aliense, Iacopo Palma the Young and Sante Peranda. At the same time, the fašade was erected towards the church of Santo Stefano, with the Evangelical brothel, attributed to Giovanni Girolamo Grapiglia. This stone face finds its interior with the meeting room where you can admire a beautiful portal of GG Grapiglia, featuring a lintel decorated with a sculpture by Girolamo Campagna, and a canvas of Tintoretto with a Madonna with the Child and four senators. 
Two rooms on the noble floor are decorated with precious 18th-century stuccos attributed to Giuseppe Ferrari, while the ceiling frescoes are assigned to Giuseppe Angeli. 
The palace is a place rich in historical memories linked to the Risorgimento period, recalled at the entrance from Panteon Veneto and the tombstone in memory of the martyrdom of patriot Luigi Dottesius hanging in Venice in 1851.

 



  1. Feed RSS
  2. Canale Youtube
  3. Facebook
  4. Twitter